- Oct. 26 - Nov. 15th, 2020: SRP crews will be installing poles along 56th Street, working from the north to the south.
- SRP has completed the installation of the underground conduit; installation of the underground cable is anticipated to begin in fall 2020.
- Overhead line construction will begin in August 2020 with an expected completion date of April 2021.
As part of our ongoing efforts to provide reliable electrical service to our customers, SRP will be constructing new electrical infrastructure to enhance reliability for current customers and support new and expanding businesses in the Price Road Corridor.
The project consists of a new double-circuit 230-kilovolt (kV) power line from the Knox Substation in Chandler to a new 230 kV substation site, now identified as Henshaw, on Germann Road, west of Price Road.
Crews plan to begin work on the east end of the project at Henshaw Substation just west of Price Road (noted with a solid green line on the included map). Crews will then proceed to work north to the Loop 202. Work will continue on the south side of Loop 202 then cross to the north side, 56th Street. Finally, construction will continue south along 56th Street to SRP’s Knox Substation located at 56th Street and Pecos Road.
Location and current alignment
Click map to open a larger PDF version.
We urge residents and nearby business employees to practice caution around construction areas. Please keep in mind that it is SRP’s policy to return all property to as close to its original condition as possible when the job is completed.
Projected timelines below are subject to change.
Project Component, underground conduit: September 2018 – December 2019
Underground trench and conduit installation are complete. SRP will return to install the underground cable in fall 2020. Anticipated in-service date: April 2021.
- Phase 1 - Price Road south of Spectrum Boulevard to Willis Road, and Willis Road west of Price Road. Complete September 17 – November 15.
- Phase 2 - Price Road south of Spectrum Boulevard to Loop 202. Complete March 2019–September 2019.
- Phase 3 - South side of Loop 202 at Stellar Air Park. Complete August 2019–December 2019.
Overhead Line Construction Timeline
Construction includes removing the existing lower level distribution power lines and poles (12 kV and 69 kV); installing new pole foundations; installing the new steel poles on the foundations; and, lastly, stringing the overhead lines on the new pole structures.
- Removing Existing 69 kV Line (south of Loop 202): June–August 2020
In preparation for the new 230 kV line with 69 kV underbuilt, crews will be removing the existing overhead 12 kV and 69 kV lines next month.
- Foundations: August–October 2020
Crews plan to install pole foundations on the east end of the project at Henshaw Substation just west of Price Road and then proceed to work north to the Loop 202. From Loop 202, they will install foundations to 56th Street then south to Knox Substation.
- 230 kV Poles and Overhead Line: September 2020–February 2021
The foundation crew will work from the east end of the project at Henshaw to the west end on 56th Street. After this work is complete, new power poles and overhead lines will be installed.
There is a moratorium where no work will take place from late November through January 3, 2021.
- Underground 230 kV Line: October 2020–March 2021
Last year, SRP completed the installation of the conduit for the underground portion of the 230 kV line. Later this year, SRP anticipates the contractor will install the cable inside the conduit. This will complete the underground portion of the project.
- 230 kV Line In Service: April 2021
For questions regarding construction activity, please call (602) 236-2872 or email 2872Line@srpnet.com.