- SRP’s contractor, PDI Construction, will be working southbound on Price Road March 4–8 for curb and gutter repair as well as manhole adjustments.
- March 11–15: Crews will be potholing along Price Road to identify existing utilities.
- March 18–Sept. 2: Crews will begin trenching to install conduit along west side of Price Road in the southbound lanes. Crews will begin on the southern portion of the project and work their way north.
- Please observe all signs and barricade setups.
On Sept. 12, 2017, the Arizona Corporation Commission granted SRP a Certificate of Environmental Compatibility to build a new 230-kilovolt power line and substation to address continued economic development in the southeast Valley.
Most of the new line will be built overhead, with a small portion constructed underground. The new infrastructure will support current and future customer energy needs in the area known as the Price Road Corridor. SRP’s responsibility is to ensure that adequate energy supplies are available for existing and new residential and business customers in the Price Road Corridor.
Location and current alignment
Click map to open a larger PDF version.
The first phase of underground construction began in mid-September 2018 and was completed in November 2018. This segment was located on the west side of Price Road, approximately 700 linear feet north of Willis Road, continued south to Willis Road.
The second phase of construction activities begins March 2019 and will take place on Price Road north of Willis Road to the Loop 202.
We urge residents and nearby business employees to take caution around construction areas. Please keep in mind that it is SRP’s policy to return all property to as close to its original condition as possible when the job is completed. There are no outages anticipated for this project.
Site activity and safety
- Underground construction will require extensive trenching along the west side of Price Road.
- Every effort will be made to minimize traffic disruptions wherever possible.
- The transmission line will be placed mostly in private electric easement areas.
- Where possible, street closures will be limited.
- SRP will employ flag personnel and/or police officers in active construction areas.
- SRP will insure emergency vehicles can access business properties along the construction route.
- SRP adheres to all Maricopa County noise and dust control standards for construction.
Project Component 1: September 2018 – July 2019
Underground trench and conduit installation
- (Complete) September 17 – November 15: Phase 1 – Price Road south of Spectrum Blvd to Willis Road, and Willis Road west of Price Road
- March 2019 – July 2019: Phases 2 & 3 - Price Road south of Spectrum Blvd to Loop 202 and south side of Loop 202 at Stellar Air Park
Project Component 2: January 2020 – December 2020
Overhead transmission line construction
From Knox substation at 56th Street near Pecos Road, generally along the south side of the Loop 202 east to Price Road
Project Component 3: January 2019 – April 2021
Henshaw Substation construction (RS-27)
- January 2019 – May 2019: Siting grading and block wall
- January 2020 – April 2021: Civil and electrical construction
Project Component 4: November 2019 – April 2020
Knox Substation Modifications
The underground power lines portion will be buried at a depth of at least 3 to 7 feet. The lines will be installed in conduit so if one should fail it can be replaced by pulling out the damaged line and pulling in a new one, reducing the need to open the trench in the future.
At various points along the route, vaults will need to be installed. Vaults provide places to install splices and establish entry points for workers to access the ends of the line when needed. The underground trench to accommodate the vault will be approximately 4 feet wide. A typical vault is 8 feet wide by 26 feet long and 8 feet high. To improve reliability, vaults may be installed in pairs.
For questions regarding construction activity, please call Samantha Horgen at (602) 236-2884 or email Samantha.Horgen@srpnet.com.