- Beginning Monday, Sept. 24 to Thursday, Nov. 15, Willis Road will be CLOSED TO TRAFFIC to accommodate construction activities associated with the 230 kV underground transmission project.
- Business access will remain open along Price Road.
On Sept. 12, 2017, the Arizona Corporation Commission granted SRP a Certificate of Environmental Compatibility to build a new 230-kilovolt power line and substation to address continued economic development in the southeast Valley.
Most of the new line will be built overhead, with a small portion constructed underground. The new infrastructure will support current and future customer energy needs in the area known as the Price Road Corridor. SRP’s responsibility is to ensure that adequate energy supplies are available for existing and new residential and business customers in the Price Road Corridor.
Over the past few months, the City of Chandler has been working in this area to relocate their facilities to make way for SRP to install the new power line. The City's project is anticipated to end in the next few weeks. Upon completion of City work, SRP will begin constructing the underground portion of the line.
The first segment of underground construction is expected to begin in mid-September 2018 and be completed by the end of November 2018.
This segment is located on the west side of Price Road, approximately 700 linear feet north of Willis Road, and continues south to Willis Road. At Willis Road, the construction will travel west along the north side of Willis Road. We urge residents and nearby business employees to take caution around construction areas. Please keep in mind that it is SRP’s policy to return all property to as close to its original condition as possible when the job is completed. There are no outages anticipated for this project.
Site activity and safety
- Underground construction will require extensive trenching along the west side of Price Road.
- Every effort will be made to minimize traffic disruptions wherever possible.
- The transmission line will be placed mostly in private electric easement areas.
- Where possible, street closures will be limited.
- SRP will employ flag personnel and/or police officers in active construction areas.
- SRP will insure emergency vehicles can access business properties along the construction route.
- SRP adheres to all Maricopa County noise and dust control standards for construction.
Project Component 1: September 2018 – July 2019
Underground trench and conduit installation
- September 17 – November 15: Segment 1 – Price Road south of Spectrum Blvd to Willis Road, and Willis Road west of Price Road
- March 2019 – July 2019: Segment 2 & 3 - Price Road south of Spectrum Blvd to Loop 202 and south side of Loop 202 at Stellar Air Park
Project Component 2: January 2020 – December 2020
Overhead transmission line construction
From Knox substation at 56th Street near Pecos Road, generally along the south side of the Loop 202 east to Price Road
Project Component 3: January 2019 – April 2021
Henshaw Substation construction (RS-27)
- January 2019 – April 2019: Siting grading and block wall
- January 2020 – April 2021: Civil and electrical construction
Project Component 4: November 2019 – April 2020
Knox Substation Modifications
The underground power lines portion will be buried at a depth of at least 3 to 7 feet. The lines will be installed in conduit so if one should fail it can be replaced by pulling out the damaged line and pulling in a new one, reducing the need to open the trench in the future.
At various points along the route, vaults will need to be installed. Vaults provide places to install splices and establish entry points for workers to access the ends of the line when needed. The underground trench to accommodate the vault will be approximately 4 feet wide. A typical vault is 8 feet wide by 26 feet long and 8 feet high. To improve reliability, vaults may be installed in pairs.
For questions regarding construction activity, please call Samantha Horgen at (602) 236-2884 or email Samantha.Horgen@srpnet.com.